Iowa’s double-digit lead evaporates at Nebraska

LINCOLN, Neb. – Dylan Talley’s tie-breaking, shot clock-beating 3-pointer with 9.2 seconds left sent Nebraska to a 64-60 victory over Iowa Saturday and put a dent in the Hawkeyes’ NCAA tournament hopes.

The Cornhuskers (13-14, 4-10 Big Ten) used a couple of big runs in the second half to come back from a 16-point halftime deficit and end the Hawkeyes’ three-game win streak.

Talley scored 18 points and Shavon Shields added 17 for Nebraska, which shot 62.5 percent the second half and outscored Iowa 19-7 over the last 9:42. Iowa shot 28 percent the last 20 minutes.

Brandon Ubel added 12 points and Ray Gallegos scored 11 for the Huskers. Roy Devyn Marble had 18 points, Aaron White 15 and Eric May 10 for the Hawkeyes (17-10, 6-8).

After Talley’s 3-pointer from behind the top of the key, Iowa’s Mike Gesell missed a 3 with 2.9 seconds left. Marble then fouled Gallegos, who finished the game with a free throw.

“The kid hit a great shot,” Iowa coach Fran McCaffery said of Talley. “I didn’t want them to drive and get fouled or throw it inside because they scored every time they threw it inside. We wanted them to shoot a contested jumper in that situation, and that’s what they did.”

The game originally was set for Thursday but was rescheduled because of a winter storm.

Iowa came in with its eyes on an NCAA tournament bid after consecutive wins over Northwestern, Penn State and Minnesota.

It looked like the Hawks were well on their way to a fourth straight win in the first half. They shot only 43 percent in the first half but still built big leads, switching from zone to man-to-man defenses and trapping at midcourt.

Nebraska, down 41-25 at halftime, used a couple runs to get back into the game.

A 12-4 burst came after Iowa got careless with the ball and committed four of their 12 turnovers. The Huskers made them pay, with Talley hitting a 3-pointer and bank-in to make it 45-37.

The Huskers were within 53-50 after two free throws by Shields finished a 10-2 spurt.

Shields’ jumper in the lane gave Nebraska its first lead of the game, 58-57, with 2:29 left. After Gesell missed a shot on the other end, Ubel hit a hook to put the Huskers up 60-57.

White’s 3-pointer tied it at 60, and the Hawks had a chance to re-take the lead when Ubel drew a charge from Marble under the basket.

Nebraska called a timeout when Adam Woodbury and Marble trapped Talley with 19.9 seconds to play, leaving the Huskers with 11 seconds on the shot clock.

Talley took the inbound pass, dribbled, pulled back and launched the tie-breaking shot from behind the 3-point line just before the shot clock ran out.

Gesell hurried down and shot a 3, which bounced high off the rim and hit the shot clock above the basket, giving possession to the Huskers.

The Hawks had been going for their longest Big Ten win streak since 2006. Six of Iowa’s eight Big Ten losses have been by four points or less.