BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

Downtown apartment complex catches fire

Firefighters continue to battle a blaze that started on the third floor of The Villager apartment complex, 105 N. Center St., early this morning.

A police officer walking out of the police department spotted smoke coming from the top of the building around 6:30 Sunday morning.

The Marshalltown Fire Department was called to the scene and immediately started evacuating residents from the 30 apartments inside with help from the MPD.

Robin Cooper, a tenant who lived on the second floor, said she was drinking coffee when the alarms started going off.

“The second floor was full of smoke; everyone was coughing,” she said.

No injuries were reported and everyone made it out OK, according to Fire Chief Steve Edwards.

“The people are being staged at the Coliseum and we have called in the Red Cross to assist,” Edwards said.

The fire is under investigation.