ARL to hold first ‘Trails for Tails’ dog walk
The Animal Rescue League’s fundraiser “will have a little different feel,” according to Heidi Drager, director.
And it is the nonprofit organization’s only fundraising event where man’s best friend is invited.
It is the debut of “Trails for Tails,” Aug. 3, at Marshalltown’s Riverview Park.
The event was originally scheduled June 1, but postponed due to wet grounds.
The ARL is hoping dozens of residents will pay a $20 registration fee, solicit donations from others and bring their dogs to walk or run three miles along the scenic and user-friendly Linn Creek Recreational Trail, commonly referred to as the “bike trail.”
Drager said there are several good reasons to join the fun.
“All proceeds go to the ARL,” she said. “The top fundraiser will be recognized as ‘The Grand Dog,’ and there will be special recognition of ARL alumni.”
The ARL is strongly encouraging pre-registrations to allow participants time to solicit pledges, Drager said.
Pledge packets are available at the ARL, 1921 Taylor Ave., Hy-Vee, 802 S. Center St., and the Animal Clinic – The Vet, 507 W. High St.
Pre-registrants may use cash, check or credit card and will be guaranteed a goodie bag.
Only cash or check registrations will be allowed the day of the event.
Drager requested all participants honor event rules and recommendations:
– All dogs must be on a leash that is no longer than 6 feet. No extension or retractable leashes.
– All dogs must be current on rabies and distemper combination vaccines. It is recommended dogs have current bordetella vaccinations as well as flea and tick preventatives.
– It is recommended that each walker have no more than two dogs.
– Do not bring dogs in heat or coming in to heat
– Puppies under four months of age are highly susceptible to parvo, a viral disease. Consequently, please wait to participate in next year’s event.
– Please pick up dog manure.
“If one does not have a dog but wants to participate, we have some adoptable dogs available to walk,” Drager said.
For more information, contact the ARL at 641-753-9046 or arlmarshalltown.com