Fire results in $7,000 loss

The Marshalltown Fire Department responded to a house fire Thursday at 106 S. Fifth Street.

Everyone was out of the house upon the arrival of the two man fire team who extinguished it, at approximately 6 p.m.

The fire was caused by children playing with a lighter, said Scott Johnson, acting Marshalltown Fire Chief. There were no injuries reported, but the loss is estimated at $7,000 with a rear bedroom being damaged.

“You just need to keep your lighters and matches up away from where kids can reach them,” Johnson said. “Keep them out of sight and out of their reach.”