BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

One injured in Sunday house fire

A fire in the bedroom of the house at 713 Union St. caused one person to be rushed to the hospital Sunday.

Scott Johnson, Marshalltown Fire Department acting chief, said when the six man fire team arrived all three residents were out of the house. The fire, caused by a discarded cigarette on a mattress, remained in the bedroom on the second floor.

One occupant of the house was rushed to Marshalltown Medical & Surgical Center for burns on his hands.

The fire took an hour to extinguish and there was approximately $5,000 worth of damage to the house.

The Marshalltown Police Department, MAPS and Alliant Energy also assisted in the fire response.